You have probably heard about all the wonderful features that come with a metal roof, and we have to say that we agree. These roofs are pretty spectacular. However, we want to ensure that we are honest with our customers and make it clear that metal roofing will work better in some situations than others. Read on to learn more about metal roofing from the professionals at Sparks Roofing.
Metal Roofing Benefits
We’ve found that metal will win against other roofing materials in several categories:
- Longevity: These roofs, when installed correctly, should last just as long as the house does. They effectively seal out water, can withstand powerful winds, and easily lose any snow that might fall. Also, metal is extremely resistant to pests, fire, mildew, and rot. While the warranties will change from manufacturer to manufacturer, most roofs are backed anywhere from 20 to 50 years. The paint finishes will even have a 30-year warranty on occasion.
- Weight: Tile weighs about 750 pounds per square, which is an area that equals about 100 square feet. Concrete tile will weigh closer to 900 pounds per square. However, metal roofing is quite lightweight compared to these options, weighing in at just about 50 to 150 pounds per square.
Also, some metal roofing materials can be installed over an existing roof without adding any additional structural support. Ask about this if you would like to learn more!
- Easy Roof Installation: Most metal roofing materials are made in 12- to 36-inch panels. The metal roofing contractors at Sparks Roofing can install these quickly and with ease. If a storm is heading towards Nashville, this quicker installation could save much of your home! Also, since the material is so lightweight, you may save on engineering costs.
- Fire Resistance: Metal roofs are noncombustible, meaning that they usually have a Class A fire rating. However, the materials underneath the metal might not be as fire-resistant. Keep that in mind.
- Heat Resistance: Metal reflects heat instead of absorbing it during the hot hours of the day. This means that you save energy with your air conditioning costs during the day.
- Little Roof Pitch: Metal roofing can be installed on slightly pitched roofs without any worries about leaking. The minimum pitch is 3-in-12. If you aren’t sure what your pitch is, feel free to contact us.
- Rain and Snow Resistance: Metal roofing panels interlock in such a way that makes it almost impossible for leaks.
Metal Roofing Drawbacks
Of course, while there are many benefits to metal roofs, not everyone’s home is designed for metal roofing. Here are some of the drawbacks:
- Price: For something so wonderful, it does come at a cost. Metal roofing is equal to other premium materials. However, if you stay in your home for a long time, you will easily save the difference and more. Those who plan to move soon may not see the return on investment they expect.
- Noise: Metal roofing, in general, is going to be a bit noisier than other roofing materials. However, if the sound bothers you, you may be able to use materials like plywood sheeting and other muffling items to keep the sound at bay.
- Denting: Metal roofing is still made of metal, so oversized hail can lead to dents. Aluminum and copper especially are more prone to denting.
- Expanding and Contracting: Metal expands and contracts depending on the temperature. While many roofs have fastening systems to handle the movement, some do not. This expansion and contraction can cause a wavy effect in the roof.
- Modifications: A metal roof is not a good choice if you are planning to remodel your home in 10 to 20 years from now. The metal roofing you choose now will be hard to match, and that might be a problem if you are worried about the appearance.
Contact Nashville’s Metal Roof Contractors
We at Sparks Roofing want to help you achieve the highest level of protection and value for your home. Contact our team today, and we would be happy to discuss both the pros and the cons of installing a metal roof. We provide free estimates, so you will know if this type of roofing fits into your budget. We look forward to working with you and your family!